Mobility exercises are movements and stretches that aim to improve the overall mobility and flexibility of your joints and muscles. These exercises help maintain and restore functional movement patterns, increase range of motion, and prevent stiffness or pain.
1. Neck Rolls: Stand or sit with good posture. Slowly roll your head in a circular motion, moving from one side to the other. Perform 5-10 rolls in each direction.
2. Shoulder Circles: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Extend your arms out to the sides. Make small circles with your shoulders, gradually increasing the size of the circles. Perform 10-15 circles forward and then backward.
3. Wrist Circles: Extend your arms straight in front of you. Rotate your wrists in circular motions, first in one direction and then in the other. Perform 10-15 circles in each direction.
4. Hip Circles: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Place your hands on your hips. Circle your hips in a clockwise motion, and then reverse the direction. Perform 10-15 circles in each direction.
5. Knee Hugs: Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Lift one knee up toward your chest, wrapping your hands around it. Hold for a few seconds, then release and repeat with the other leg. Perform 5-10 knee hugs on each side.
6. Ankle Circles: Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet flat on the floor. Lift one foot off the floor and rotate your ankle in a circular motion. Perform 10-15 circles in one direction, then repeat in the opposite direction. Switch to the other foot and repeat.
7. Spine Twists: Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor and your hands resting on your thighs. Rotate your upper body to one side, twisting your spine. Hold for a few seconds, then return to the center and repeat on the other side. Perform 5-10 twists on each side.
8. Standing Quad Stretch: Stand tall and hold onto a wall or chair for support. Bend one knee and grab your ankle or foot with your hand. Gently pull your foot toward your glutes, feeling a stretch in the front of your thigh. Hold for 15-30 seconds, then switch sides. Repeat 3-5 times on each side.
Remember to listen to your body and avoid any exercises or stretches that cause pain or discomfort.
Always check with your healthcare provider before beginning any fitness routine.